Pages

Thursday, 1 December 2011

Conversation with Look Mum No Hands

Look Mum No Hands: think Central Perk with bicycles, beers and live cycling events. My idea of a Cyclist Paradise.




Quickly being adopted as the home of the London cyclist, Look Mum No Hands has positioned itself as the cafe with a twist. Whether you’re the Lycra wearing aspiring racer, the Pashley riding lady about town, or the Shoreditch fixed-gear hipster, Look Mum No Hands effortlessly manages to accommodate the varied nature of the London cyclist. Its this colorful infusion which creates an unparalleled vibrant ambiance, unlike most other London cafes. Quintessentially the perfect place for you and your bicycle companion to relax.      

Read on for Conversation with Look Mum No Hands

I recently had the opportunity to sit down and enjoy one of LMNH flat white’s with Lewin Chalkley, co-founder and coffee maestro of Look Mum No Hands.





Conversation with Look Mum No Hands. Everything coffee, cycling and the bits in the middle.

Gerry (Founder of Bicycle Basecamp)
Lewin (Co-Founder of Look Mum No Hands)
Location: Look Mum No Hands, 49 Old St London EC1V 9HX
(View Map Here) 

GERRY: I suppose we should really kick this off from the beginning, the birth of Look Mum No Hands. How did it all begin?  


LEWIN: Well we just wanted to create something we would go to ourselves. We knew it needed four fundamentals: good beer, good coffee, good food and a workshop. Also offering a place you could come to and watch live sports. Right now we’re in the middle of the “Tour de France” It’s Bonkers!


GERRY: Any LMNH unforgettable moments?


LEWIN: Would have to say when everyone gets together for the live cycling events. The atmosphere is amazing! Last years Tour de France was a particular highlight; the place was packed filled with people cheering Cavendish, created a real buzz. Then we had the Great Brownie bake off, also a great highlight. We always have events here, which are always a lot of fun. Everyone getting together, having a laugh, it’s what Look Mum No Hands is about. Every one letting themselves go a little bit.




GERRY: I can imagine. The place seems perfect for such events. Even now at 8am, you get so much more than just a coffee. There’s a real vibe.  

LEWIN: Well that’s what we wanted to achieve when we opened. Create something new and different. 

GERRY: Being right in the heart of the trendy East End, do you get any famous regulars?

LEWIN: Well, we’ve had Keira Knightley pop by, can’t really call her a regular she’s been in like twice. Also we’ve had that comedian with curly hair, what’s his name again?....

GERRY: Random guess, but does he wear glasses and appear on mock the week? 

LEWIN: Yeah that’s the one. Ed Byrne. Comes in every so often. 

GERRY: What got you into cycling? 

LEWIN: Well got into BMX freestyle from an earlier age, spent a lot of time consumed with that. Became a bicycle courier for a while in early 2000’s, which opened up the World of road cycling. From that experience road cycling exploded from there really, mates joined in, dabbled in a bit of off-road mountain biking and haven’t looked back since. 

GERRY: Sounds cool. So tell me about your first ride?  

LEWIN: A little red one back as a kid, can’t tell you what it was called but it was red. First proper bike was a Raleigh Grifter, extremely heavy.

GERRY: What type of bikes do you ride now?

LEWIN: Road bikes

GERRY: Man of my own heart. Any brand in particular?


LEWIN: As long as it’s light and fast not really too fussed 

GERRY: Any bad cycling experiences?

LEWIN: Well, without stating the obvious falling off is never nice (laughing). Luckily doesn’t happen too much. Then theft. 

GERRY: My bike was recently stolen, had a Ribble triathlon bike and it cost a fortune so it’s still quite a sensitive subject. Anyway moving on before I break down in tears, if you could say anything to a bike thief what would you say?
LEWIN: FUCK YOU! (Laughing)

GERRY: Haha Sounds perfect to me. Have you ever had your bike stolen? And as a bicycle community what could we do to help prevent bicycle theft?

LEWIN: Yeah unfortunately a couple of times, thankfully not recently. I’d say investing in a decent lock is always a good start, followed by not leaving your bike locked up outside for to long, which I know can be difficult. Then just as a community looking out for each other. Recently there was that story on twitter where someone managed to take a picture of a couple of bike thieves, which was then circulated around the various social media sites. Then there was a video of a guy getting out his car punching a cyclist, stealing the bike and driving off. Again the thieves face and registration plate were clear to see from video. So I think social media in general is doing a lot to expose these thieves, which can only be a good thing. NAIL THE BASTARDS! (Laughing)



GERRY: On to a cheerier subject. What do you love about cycling?

LEWIN: Racing is always a great laugh, and a lot of fun.

GERRY: Is racing something you get to do often?

LEWIN: Not as often as I’d like no. But when time allows, always something I look to do. Other than racing just riding my bike is brilliant. Love getting up real early and going out into the Kent hills and the North Downs when the mist is still on the roads, being the first person out. I love that! Getting the adrenaline going. 

GERRY: I know some people listen to music whilst riding. Is that something you do?

LEWIIN: No not really. Personally I feel it can destroy the ambiance. If I’m out in beautiful surroundings I want to be part of it. However if I were at home on a turbo trainer then maybe some house music would be perfect. 

GERRY: if you were to name one what’s your favorite bicycle blog/website? 

LEWIN: Hmm good question. To be honest don’t really follow any bicycle websites or blogs religiously, 
however Bike Snob is a really good one. Also London Fixed Gear and Single Speed Forum is an interesting place. It’s done a lot for cycling and is really important for the community. The name might not suggest it, but it’s really good for the broad community, its not just about single speed and fixed gear, which is great. I do have a secret obsession with constantly checking the prices of second hand road bikes online. 


GERRY: (Laughing) OK that’s an interesting obsession. Not judging you honest  

LEWIN: Thanks. Probably shouldn’t be telling you this, but I’m embarrassed to say at night I look at cycling weekly’s classified section and occasionally, but only occasionally the British cycling classified section too. 

GERRY: Don’t worry your secret is safe with me. Can’t speak for the readers of this piece though.



GERRY: As you know we try and come up with different cycling events in aid of War Child, our partner charity. Would you ever consider an event called “Look mum no hands” where participants try and navigate their way through the city streets with no hands? If not, what would you like to create? 

LEWIN: To your first question, probably not, be too dangerous don’t you think (laughing). Personally, I’d like to take some mates over to the Pyrenees, slightly coloured by the fact I’ve been watching the Tour de France stages throughout the Pyrenees recently. It looks gorgeous and I imagine it would be pretty epic. 

GERRY: Any words of wisdom?

LEWIN: Ha I’m always tempted to say never eat yellow snow when someone asks me that (laughing), but I should probably have something more original than that. I ride my bike and for me that acts as a form of meditation. Its gets your brain working, heart rate up and I never feel more alive than when I’m on my bike and out on the open road. So if I could advise people to do that, I think it would be a good thing. Whether or not that can be considered words of wisdom I don’t know. 

GERRY: Well it’s definitely better than advising people against eating yellow snow (laughing). To wrap this up, if you were to suggest a “must have” from your menu to someone dropping by Look Mum No Hands for the first time what would it be?

LEWIN: There are a few things I’d rave about in this place. The coffee goes without saying, but also recently I’ve really been pushing the Kernel beers. They truly are amazing beers. Definitely raving about those.  





No comments: