Pages

Thursday, 7 June 2012

Rider Spotlight: Josh Briars





The Rider Spotlight series is back! Once a month we'll be interviewing a professional rider, learning more their motivation, craft and passion towards their cycling discipline. 

To kick things off we sit down with UK Flatland rider Josh Briars. Enjoy! 
First things first, state your name and age.
My name is Josh Briars and im 23.


How did you get into BMX riding?
I discovered BMX at 13 when I started working as a paper boy, some of the other
kids had them and could do one or two tricks. I didn’t know much about it so I
ended up buying RideBMX magazine and that kicked it all off for me.

How would you describe UK BMX scene?
Its really strong I think, a lot of people I know who ride flat / park / street / trails
are always putting things online with new edits, riders and every time something
stands out. Also there is a lot of new faces popping up all the time who are absolute
shredders and I’m glad to see that, I just thing it’s going from strength to strength
and its making a huge comeback.

What motivated you to take up the life of a BMX rider?
I have no idea, it think it’s something that gradually took over and I knew that I
always wanted to just be on my bike doing what I wanted. I guess it was during Uni
when I started to get a bit more involved in it, with doing more filming, shows etc. I
guess the main motivation was that I hate feeling stuck in a rut, I always want to be
moving forward and with BMX it was something different everyday on and off the
bike. Keeps me on my toes!


Favorite BMX brand?
That’s a tough one. I’m really liking Deep just for quality. I’ve never really stuck to
a brand, I usually say that if I don’t break it and it lasts a year or so then I’m happy.
KHE are my only choice for freecoasters though.

Any music which motivates you to perform when riding?
Hip hop is usually what I like. Sonnyjim did a mixtape last year which really got me
motivated. As long as its got a flowing beat to nod my head to, then I’m happy.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully doing something similar to what I am now, but more of it and getting other
riders involved. I don’t want to stray away from BMX. Way I see now it is onward
and upward.


Highlight of 2011?
For me the best thing was in January when I got the all clear from my physio to
start riding again as I had about 9 months off due to an injury. I was so motivated
as soon as I found out. Also my progression, learning hop whips was a great
moment. Then 2nd place at the UK Flatland Champs, I was pretty stoked with that!

Plans for the rest of 2012?

Currently involved in the 2012 Olympic Torch Relay Tour which is going to cover most of my summer. I want to get more involved with it all, booking more shows and I really, really want flatland to get the exposure it deserves. 2012 is the year for that! Also I’m thinking about getting another contest on in the UK at some point, so Im trying to work out when is the best time and where, so keep an ear out for a contest coming at some point this year.

Olympic Torch Relay Tour, 50,000 watching us perform in Cheltenham

You have a lot going on in your life. Describe an average day in the life of a pro UK
BMX rider
Wake up around 9 and check the weather first, then emails. If it’s wet and I can’t
ride I’ll usually go into town and hunt around for new locations to film and also trawl
the net for possible works. If it’s dry I usually go straight out and ride for a few hours
then relax, check emails again and all that. See what else is going on in the flatland
world through forums like global-flat or flatmattersonline.com as its nice to see what
everyone else is up to.

What can’t any serious BMX rider do without?
Motivation, and new ideas. Also just a good crew of people around you, always
breeds positivity. Can’t forget tools, bring them everywhere!

Any suggestions for young kids wanting to pursue BMX riding?
Keep practicing! It takes a lot and just keep trying over and over until you get it, it’s
worth it in the long run. Hard work pays off and it’s loads of fun.

Keep in touch with Josh 
@Josh_Briars
Facebook

1 comment:

Cam Morris said...

I am inspired by Josh Briars' dedication and passion for BMX riding.