Pages

Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Andy Hampshire's Clothing Guide to Braving the Winter Weather


I love the bike. I cycle all conditions, come rain or shine I'm on my two wheels. However, if I look outside and see snow my vintage 1980's Peugeot racer is only going one place, and its not out on the snow covered streets. Sunday morning went something like this, Peugeot racer meet the bicycle lock-up, I know I know, it looks dark and dingy but this will be your home for the next few days.  

Snow over I'm now going to retrieve my two wheeled companion, before I do I'm left reflecting on the past couple of days without her and I feel a little guilt. Maybe I should have fought the snow, purchased some decent gear and went up against the elements like a true Bicyclist. A Bicyclist like Andy Hampshire. Yesterday my Bicyclist credentials were brought to question by Andy on twitter. Not only did he school me on how to beat the snow but he even provided a picture on how a real bicyclist should handle ones business in such conditions. 

His tutelage inspired me, I'm a changed man. No more shall I turn my noise up at a bit of white snow. Equipped with Andy's "How to brave the snow clothing manual" I can't go wrong. Usually I'd charge for knowledge he provided me, but as I'm such a nice guy, I'm going to share it with you guys for free! 

Andy Hampshire's Clothing Guide to Braving the Snow. Check it out after the jump. You won't regret it :) 



Picture the scenario: You step outside and you're confronted with the above, snow covered pavements and below freezing conditions. If you're anything like me you're probably scrummaging around for your oyster card at this point, or better yet the keys to your car! 

According to Andy all we really need is decent clothing, so here it is. If you like his advice drop Andy a line on twitter @hampy4  
Please note: If based on this guide you decide to brave the snow next time around and you still freeze to death, rueing the day you ever read this post, don't blame Bicycle Basecamp, blame Andy! lol  

Andy Hampshire's Clothing Guide to Braving the Snow

1. dhb Corefit Long Sleeve Hi Viz Base Layer  
Price: £14.95 
Available at: Wiggle
Supposedly its perfect for the outdoors. 

2. Endura Short Slv Jersey  
Price: £33.99 
Available at: Chain Reactions
Made from a Rapid-wick textured fabric. Sounds warm to me.

3. Endura Convert 2 Jacket 
Price: £71.15 
Available at: Pedalon
Light weight and waterproof, whilst remaining quite smart. 

4. Pearl Izumi W's Select Thermal Tight
Price: £34.99
Available at: Evans Cycles
They say it's designed for maximum warmth and comfort for cold weather running and riding. 


5. Endura Waterproof Shorts 
Price: £47.99
Available at: Rutland Cycling 
Seem to dish out loads of features for the money. 

6. M-Wave 2.0 Litre Hydration Back Pack

Price: £25.23 
Available at: Amazon UK
Integrated hydration pack- very cool! 

So there you have it. The 6 step guide to combating the cold. If you like Andy's guide let him know @hampy4   

"Don't forget, having scant regard for ones personal saftey is no excuse for not going out prepared" Andy Hampshire
          






dhb base Lng slv, endura short slv jersey, endura convert 2 jacket, thermal leggins, endura waterproof shorts + camel bag