Bicycle Basecamp Contributor, Simon Nurse of Cycle Stuff
Lawlessness. Anarchy. Reckless idiocy. Time and time again, when the cycling debate hots up, this is the picture painted by motorists who lack empathy, interest and intelligence. All cyclists run red lights. All cyclists ride on the pavement. ‘Road tax’? Let’s not go there. It’s a tired old cliché. My particular favourite is this little chestnut; ‘When cyclists start obeying the rules of the road, I’ll start respecting them’. Surf any of the online debates and you’ll cut across that one sooner or later (and it’s usually sooner rather than later).
Incidentally this blog post was compiled at 20 mph (20 moans per hour) which by amazing happenstance is also the speed limit that would make most sense in urban areas. I’ll even promise to stick to it.
The sun is shining through my office window but I’m still incensed by this morning’s speeding fool and the remorseless idiocy displayed in online debates. If you feel just as strongly as I do, sign-up to the Times’ ‘Cities fit for cycling’ campaign. The streets may just get safer foreveryone (motorists included).
*As I’ve said before, I also drive and most of the motorists I know a fairly reasonable. I even like one or two of them 


No comments:
Post a Comment